Earth Day is celebrated worldwide on the 22nd of April and aims to promote an understanding of important environmental issues so that people are aware of the critical actions we need to take to protect our environment.
We have put together a list of simple things we can all do in order to protect the earth and the environment and that can actually help save money!
Let’s Celebrate Earth Day
- Plant a tree. Trees provide oxygen and clean the air (an acre of mature trees absorbs the same amount of CO2 produced when you drive your car 26,000 miles).
- Join a local beach cleanup.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle:
- Recycle paper, plastic and glass.
- Use cloth towels instead of paper ones.
- Use reusable bottles of water and reusable mugs for coffee.
- Bring reusable bags when you shop. Stop using disposable plastics, especially single-use plastics like bottles, bags and straws (you can get bamboo, stainless steel or paper straws instead!).
- Turn off lights when you leave a room or your office at work.
- Turn off any electronics you’re not using, and plug out your phone and computer once they are charged.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator to save energy (and get exercise!).
- Carpool, walk, ride your bike or use public transport. Reduce your carbon footprint by one pound for every mile you do not drive.
- Teleconference instead of travelling. If you fly five times per year, those trips are likely to account for 75% of your personal carbon footprint.
- Use energy-efficient appliances and electronics.
- Replace inefficient incandescent light bulbs with efficient CFLs or LEDs (You can reduce your carbon footprint by 450 pounds a year!).
- Change your paper bills to online billing. (At Fastcom, our bills are sent by email unless specifically asked!).
- Read documents online instead of printing them. When you need to use paper, use recycled paper and set your office printer to print two-sided.
- Grow your own organic garden.
- Buy organic food to keep your body and the environment free of toxic pesticides. Support farmers and companies who use organic ingredients.
- Buy local food to reduce the distance from farm to fork – you can buy straight from the farm or go to your local farmers’ markets, you can find which market is closest to you thanks to Bord Bia.
- Water your lawn and plants only in the early morning or late at night.
- Run your dishwasher only when it’s full to save water and energy.
- Wash your clothes using cold water and line dry.
- Fix leaky faucets and shower heads. Use a water-saving shower head.
- Compost kitchen scraps to use in your garden – turn waste into fertilizer.
- Donate your old clothes to charity or to someone in need instead of throwing them out.
We hope you appreciate this list. If you have any suggestions on how to support the environment this Earth Day, don’t forget to leave them in the comments!
Michelle Gilmartin – Author